Wednesday, May 5, 2010

first treat: the incredible book eating boy

Being this my third post, I think it’s time for a treat :) (every healthy mental diet must include treats!)

The incredible book eating boy: This was the first Oliver Jeffers book I ever held on my hands (at Banco del Libro, of course). I found the cover so delightfully fun, that I immediately ran towards it and opened it. The first page alone blew me away. It was so much more than what I expected.



The story is amazingly fun and creative. Something we’ve all thought about at least once through high school or the university: “I wish I could just eat this book and learn all its content”. This is what happens to Henry: he loved books so much that he literally ate them and got smarter and smarter. He soon thought that if he continued eating books he would become the smartest person in the whole world. What could go wrong? Well, as it happens with eating too much food, it happens with eating too much books! (besides getting fat) He got sick in his stomach and he couldn’t solve a simple math problem. All his knowledge was mixed up. Finally, Henry realizes that reading books can be even more pleasant than eating them.

But not only the story is amazing. Every page of this book is incredible:


The thing is that the illustrations are made on pages from old books that librarians and people were getting rid of (one more reason to love this book). This makes each page different in texture, color, design, and, of course, details! I spent hours trying to decipher the little things hidden inside them. Latin, math, French, encyclopedias, dictionaries, and so much more can be found in each page.


The book ends with a very well thought detail that perfectly wraps up the whole experience leaving the readers with a big smile on their faces :D

I hope that the people who read this get the chance to read The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers. It definitely is an extraordinary book.



you can follow him on Twitter: @OliverJeffers

2 comments:

  1. Me lo quiero comprar :)

    Te agrego a mi Readeeeeer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. siiii!!!! qué fino chips! cómpralo :D

    ReplyDelete