Sunday, May 2, 2010

fun can obviously change behavior for the better

I know I said that on my second post I would go into the details of the Best Books for Children and Youth Awards. However, today I feel like sharing a video that I absolutely love.

I don’t remember how I found it. I think someone must have posted it on twitter. Anyway, the video is from “TheFunTheory.com”, an initiative of Volkswagen. This great website is dedicated to prove, in highly creative ways, than fun can change people’s behavior for the better. They even have an award where they pick the best proposal to do this! I highly recommend checking out the winner idea and also, if you have time, check out the award entries: lots of fun initiatives!

Here's one of my favorites:





I find myself being a huge fan of this theory; I think it can be applied to every single aspect of life. For instance, I’ve always thought that people would be more efficient in their jobs if it were made fun. A fun dressing code like pajamas day, or game pauses, or even fun dynamics through a rough meeting or presentation, are just examples I can think of out of the top of my head. I’m sure if we sit down and think of ways to make work fun, the list wouldn’t be short.

One of the most dangerous things is to believe that we’ve managed to systematize a process completely and make it a standard. Organizations, corporations and even people on their daily routines try very hard to make everything measurable and standardized. This implies a creative work: finding the best way to make something a standard. However, when we finally make it, all that creative work is lost because now that we found the way to do it, we stop questioning ourselves on how we could do it better, more efficiently and, of course, more fun.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment